
Okeh 05694, 1940
This was my dad's favorite tune. I know this because he he enlisted my help to hunt down the original recording back when I still lived with my parents. Every time I came back from record shopping, he'd stop me with "any luck finding that Bob Wills?".
The song was very popular in its day and Bob Wills re-recorded it a few times in his career, as I came to find out. "No, this isn't the one" was the verdict for the first few attempts. Finally, a double-LP compilation on Columbia that I special ordered from Ryburn's did the trick. Unmistakably 1940s-sounding, and well situated with most of his other sides from that period.
That LP compilation is in my possession now, and repeated listens over the years have led me to appreciate Bob Wills' particular brand of Western Swing.
All the better to appreciate finding the original 78, by chance, a few years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment